Wednesday, December 17, 2008

seeing,savoring

I am, for many years now, hungry for words of hope in scripture. More specifically, I am hungry for any words about God our Heavenly Father or Jesus Christ, God in the flesh.I am inexplicably drawn and comforted at my most wounded and vulnerable level by the very description of His holiness or the greatness of His glory . My failings, smallness, trivial thoughts are carried away and disappear as my heart basks in Him.This is hard to put into words. When I find authors who describe things that my heart feels or thoughts I have known, it is gratifying like a "yes" at the spiritual level. John Piper's Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ and The Passion of Jesus Christ and Oswald Chambers My Utmost For His Highest often speak what I know in my heart. John Piper says ,"We were made to know and treasure the glory of God above all things; and when we trade the treasure for images, everything is disordered. The sun of God's glory was made to shine at the center of the solar system of our soul. And when it does, all the planets of our life are held in their proper orbit. But when the sun is displaced, everything flies apart.The healing of the soul begins by restoring the glory of God to its flaming, all-attracting place at the center...To see it, to savor it, and to show it- that is why we exist ...The physical eye is meant to say to the spiritual eye, " not this, but the Maker of this, is the Desire of your soul."

2 comments:

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

Julie!! Totally love your blog I could "listen" nonstop :) Keep up the great work I love "hearing you speak outloud!!!!"

gigigotidea said...

this means so much to me as I think about my "to do list" for 2009...in a very short time all will fly apart, the familiar disorder will come, the planets of my life will be out of orbit...unless....God is shining in the center and I treasure His glory.Thanks for the truth!!!!